Congratulations on your election as a councillor. Whether you’re already well versed in the world of local government, or completely new to the inner workings of local councils, this page should point you in the right direction to help you make the most of LGiU as a newly elected member.
The LGiU is a membership organisation for local authorities. You can find out if your council is a member here. We have a wide range of resources that you will find helpful in your new role. Some of our resources (such as briefings) are only for councillors and officers at our member councils. Others are available to all.
As a quick reference point to the nuts and bolts of local government we’ve got got a useful facts and figures page about your new specialist subject.
Our expert policy briefings are available to councillors from our member authorities. They will help you get to grips with all aspects of local government policy from planning to housing to social care. If you would like policy briefings to be emailed directly to you then please sign up here.
You can also search and read our back catalogue of briefings on this website.
Looking for briefings on a particular topic? Browse our briefings by category.
Wondering where to start? Why not start with our two briefings written specifically for councillors newly elected in 2019: New councillors: advice and support and New councillor? Themes and issues making the local government headlines (LGiU members only) and then take a look at a few more of our recent briefings (members only):
- Health, public health and social care round-up: April 2019
- Housing and planning round-up April 2019
- Brexit and Local Government – Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee report
- IFS: Taking Control: Which Taxes Could be Devolved to Local Government?
- Productivity for a purpose – how local industrial strategies can deliver inclusive growth
- Children’s Services: recent reports on funding and expenditure
Our incredibly popular members only Daily News service brings you a summary every morning of what’s being said in the news about local government that day – emailed to you before breakfast each day. If you would like to receive Daily News emails please sign up here.
We run a varied programme of seminars and other events, covering topics such as local government finance, community engagement, social media and specific policy subjects including health policy, planning and education. LGiU members can book places at a discounted rate. See our full list of events.
Your may find some of the following workshops aimed at newly or recently elected members of interest:
- 18 July: Being an effective Councillor: Making a difference: Doing it your way
- 19 June: Being an effective Councillor: ways of strengthening and sustaining personal resilience
- 21 June: An introduction to Local Government Finance
- 2 July: Techniques for engaging with Local and National Media
- 9 July: Using Social Media effectively for Local Government
- 16 July: Being an effective Councillor: Influencing Skills
We also offer bespoke inhouse training tailored to the needs of individual councils; please contact Barry O’Brien for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
And there’s more
Have a look round our website: listen to our fortnightly podcasts; check out our publications; our local democracy blog; and keep up to date with the LGiU’s work by signing up to receive information on any or all of our policy themes.