The seventh annual LGiU & CCLA C’llr Achievement Awards Ceremony was held on Tuesday evening (November 1st) against the beautiful backdrop of the Guildhall’s Livery Hall in London.
For the first time since the awards began, C’llr Achievement Awards 2016 took place in the Guildhall’s Livery Hall, a beautiful setting that gave the ceremony the prestige that befitted the celebration. We also doubled the number of guests to 200, while retaining the same informal and convivial atmosphere. Councillors travelled from all corners of the England and Wales in order to attend, from Redcar and Bradford to Glamorgan and Brighton.
We were honoured to have speeches from distinguished local government figures such as Lord Porter, Chair of the Local Government Association, and Baroness Thornhill, Mayor of Watford. The event received significant social media (#CllrAwards2016) and press pickup, featuring on BBC regional radio, Yorkshire Post, Birmingham Mail and others.
With nearly 200 nominations, a record amount for the Awards, competition was extremely tight this year. The winners were selected by a group of judges made up of local government experts and councillors.
- Cllr Lynn Pallister, Redcar & Cleveland Council
- Cllr Edward Turner, Oxford City Council
- Cllr Ida Carmichael, Burnley Borough Council (Honourable mention)
- Cllr Chris Brown, Cholesbury-Cum-St Leonards Parish Council
- Cllr Derek Lacey, Chesham Town Council (Honourable mention)
- Cllr Joanne Dodds, City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council
- Cllr Lucinda Yeadon, Leeds City Council (Honourable mention)
- Cllr Sharon Taylor, Stevenage Borough Council
- Cllr Lisa Rutter, Barnet Council
- Cllr Sarah Judge, Manchester City Council (Honourable mention)
- Cllr Marion Brighton, North Kesteven District Council
- Cllr Fozia Shaheen, Bradford Council
- Cllr Phil Bateman, City of Wolverhampton Council
Judging took place on 13th October.
- Baroness Dorothy Thornhill MBE – Directly Elected Mayor of Watford
- Cllr Tudor Evans – Plymouth City Council
- Cllr Nick Forbes – Leader of Newcastle City Council
- Cllr David Hodge – Leader of Surrey County Council
- Cllr Elizabeth Shenton – Leader of Newcastle under Lyme Borough Council
- Cllr Michael Payne – Chair of LGiU
- Dr Carolyn Wilkins OBE – Chief Executive of Oldham Council
- Jim McMahon MP – MP for Oldham West and Royton
- Dr Patrick Diamond – Lecturer at Queen Mary University, School of Politics and International Relations
- Sam Smethers – Chief Executive of Fawcett Society
About the Awards
Every year we celebrate the amazing work being done by councillors at our awards ceremony. Guests in previous years have told us how much they enjoy the light-hearted tone of the evening, so we’ll be doing the same this time around. We are upping the scale this year – there will be over 200 councillors from across the country joining for an evening of celebration and networking. It will be a standing reception, with food and drink provided, and the dress code is smart but not black tie. Tickets will be free of charge.
This year’s awards are possible thanks to the generous support of our founding sponsors CCLA, who are partnering with us for the 6th year in a row.
CCLA is a leading specialist fund manager for local authorities and charities. When they began sponsoring the C’llr Achievement Awards they had 22 local authority accounts. Today they have 426 and this number is growing every month. They are owned by their clients – their mission is to serve the whole sector, regardless of size.