This Commission will be led by local government and throughout 2018 it will investigate what action councils can take to prevent homelessness. Local authority duties are set to increase substantially when the Homelessness Reduction Act is implemented this year, and the Commission will help to establish best practice, develop solutions and make recommendations for effective deployment of these new duties.
Through a series of formal evidence sessions and research, the Commission will look specifically at the following questions:
- How can we share best practice and understanding so that councils can implement the Homelessness Prevention Act?
- How can we boost the supply of temporary accommodation in key areas and ensure it is affordable for councils?
- How can we boost the supply of housing more broadly?
- How can we use data to prepare for the implementation of the act and to ensure the support is targeted effectively towards the most vulnerable groups (young people, women, refugees)?
- What are councils doing to tackle the key routes into homelessness, such as the Private Rented Sector, personal debt, and welfare or Universal Credit issues?
Sign up here for regular updates and information on the Commission’s activities: