Local is at the heart of everything we do. Our mission is very simple: to strengthen local democracy to put citizens in control of their own lives, communities and local services.
To this end the LGiU is in the uniquely fortunate position of having a large local authority membership and a wider network of other public service providers, community groups, businesses and voluntary sector organisations to collaborate and develop ideas with, to work with and turn ideas into action.
This can be seen in breadth of LGiU’s work:
- The hundreds of briefings that we produce each year for our member authorities provide them with practical, timely information on topics ranging from children’s services, to planning to local economic growth.
- The research and development projects that we run in collaboration with organisations such as Mears or CAMRA result in challenging and influential reports looking at, among other things, housing, social care, community pubs.
- We provide the secretariat for the Local Government APPG, bringing local leaders together with national politicians.
- We hold more than 50 learning seminars and training events up and down the country each year, plus in-house training tailored specifically to a council’s own requirements.
- We deliver bespoke project work and consultancy, from facilitation of events, to strategy development for local authorities and their stakeholders. Find out more about our services.
Underpinning all our work is our ongoing and daily collaboration with councils around the country; because the thread that weaves through everything that we do is the core belief that communities are more sustainable and resilient when the services that people rely on are designed and delivered locally.
The challenges – financial, demographic, democratic – are well documented. But the answers and the responses to these challenges are emerging from councils and communities.
How do we want the places where we live and work to develop? How will public services meet people’s needs now and for generations to come? We are looking to the future but our ideas and our work are firmly rooted in our communities, councils, workplaces, schools and homes.
If you are interested in working with the LGiU please contact Lauren Lucas, Head of Projects.
From housing to social care; from education to local economic growth; from supporting councillors and promoting local democracy to delivering inhouse training – the scope of the LGiU’s work is as broad as the remit of a local authority. Find out more about what we do and who we do it with.
The LGiU team and guest bloggers talk about what's going on right now from the local government perspective. Join in the conversation on our blog.
Want to know what we've been saying and what's been said about us? Browse our press releases and press appearances. If you are a journalist and want to get in touch find out who to contact.