This training and development day is an overview of working with the media.
The course will concentrate on developing an understanding of the different types of media, how to answer difficult questions in an interview, how to get your message across and what to do if it goes wrong.
Some sessions will be highly interactive and delegates will be encouraged to take advantage of the networking opportunities from the day.
Participants should answer a pre-session survey explaining their media experience and understanding as well as details of one possible forthcoming announcement they might be involved in and their organisation’s key messages (this is for illustrative purposes only).
0930 – 0945:
- Welcome, coffee, introductions, ground rules and structure
0945 – 1030:
- The different types of media: print local and broadcast/ national print and broadcast/ trade/ broadcast/ online)
- Explaining media jargon and what journalists need
1030 – 1045 – break
1045 – 1200
- Interview ABC – the guide to successful media interviews
- When to decline an interview
- Exercise 1: The proactive print Interview
- Delegates work on key messages before interviewing each other in pairs
- Feedback, identify any difficulties and provide tips and pointers
1200 – 1245: lunch
1245 – 1400:
- Exercise 2: Review videos of well-known people/ experts being interviewed on TV and radio
- Review print and online stories, analyse quotes
- How you might deal with an interview that went wrong
1400 – 1415: Break
1415 – 1530
- Crisis comms and the defensive interview
- We simulate a breaking news story where the situation is unfolding, how to respond and when
1530 – 1545: break
- Learning points
- Recap key points
- 2-way feedback