About the seminar:
This seminar will also include a free copy of Jacqueline Mansell’s publication: Bullying and harassment of adults.
Research has indicated that a significant number of UK employees have experienced some sort of harassment. Early in 2017, The Fawcett Society on behalf of the Local Government Commission had found sexism still prevalent. Bullying is recorded as being on the rise and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development identified that the cost to industry is upwards of £2 Billion a year.
Respect for diversity is enshrined within the law & when organisations and individuals fail to comply, the costs can be high: Aside from legal costs there are hidden harmful costs which cannot be quantified including damage to the reputation of individuals and to the public image and reputation of the council. In turn, this has a destructive effect upon the psychological wellbeing of individuals and groups, the loyalty of employees, the trust of customers, the wider community and others.
Therefore, this seminar is intended to heighten awareness and address the areas shown by first understanding the cause and effects of behaviour and cultural norms. In turn the seminar shifts to considering and promoting positive behaviour and the roles and responsibilities of Councillors in contributing to an effective and successful culture.
A range of appropriate learning methods will be incorporated into the programme including opportunities to share and build upon existing experience.
- Recognise the building blocks key to fully functioning organisations
- Develop understanding of the reasons for people’s behaviour
- Comprehend fundamentals concerning prejudice, stereotyping and bias
- Examine harassment and bullying – conditions, cause, effects and consequence
- Have an insight into important concepts such as direct/indirect discrimination, etc.
- Recognise moral responsibility and that under equalities legislation in setting standards of behaviour
- Identify resolutions.
9.30 Registration. Refreshments upon arrival
Creating Heightened Awareness
Setting the scene
The case for addressing harassment, bullying and discrimination
Exploring and understanding people’s behaviour
- Morning Break (20 minutes)
11.50 Exploring and understanding people’ behaviour continued
Treating others with respect
- Lunch (45 minutes)
- Challenging Harassment, Bullying and Discrimination
Exploring contributing factors and resolutions
*Please note the timings and content of the programme are shown here to provide a guide and may be adapted to reflect the learning styles and needs of participants and to accommodate unforeseen or other circumstances.