About the seminar:
Being an elected Councillor demands high levels of interpersonal and communication skills at all levels and with a diverse range of people. For example:
- Political groups and across political boundaries
- With local citizens and the general public
- During representative roles with outside bodies, boards and national groups.
In being an effective Councillor and a positive force for the community it is necessary to deal effectively with people and the behaviours that they display. It is important to respond rather than react to difficult people and challenging situations. Equally, it is important for personal mental wellbeing to develop a sense of self-awareness and understanding of the influences upon how people think and interact.
This short interactive seminar/course will heighten awareness, increase confidence and understanding in dealing with difficult people and support the development of skills and techniques to apply across different situations.
During the seminar/course appropriate tools and exercises will be used to develop understanding and interpersonal skills while enjoying the opportunity to discuss, contribute and build upon shared experiences.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify types of difficult behaviour
- Identify those factors that contribute to difficult behaviour
- Adapt personal response to dealing with difficult people
- Recognise and apply different approaches to dealing with difficult people.
09.30 Registration. Refreshments upon arrival
- Types of difficult people
- Causes of behaviour
- Effects of behaviour
Morning Break (20 minutes)
11.50 Managing the response to behaviour
Using effective techniques for dealing with difficult behaviour
13.00 Lunch (45 minutes)
- Using effective techniques for dealing with difficult behaviour cont.
Taking a strategic approach, planning and preparing
*Please note the content of the programme as shown here is to provide a guide and may be adapted to reflect the learning styles and needs of participants and to accommodate unforeseen or other circumstances.