It has become clear that human life is taking its toll on the natural world. Councils are at the forefront of reversing this trend – protecting our green spaces and wildlife, pioneering waste reduction strategies, producing green energy and meeting our international commitments on carbon emissions.
Councillors have a plethora of opportunities to use their position to improve the local and global environment and promote sustainability, both through council-level strategies and grassroots community projects like supporting vibrant green spaces and environmentally sensitive planning and construction practices as well as committing to low/zero carbon targets and renewable energy projects.
In order to deliver on these ambitions, councillors must also engage with the public and support community-led environmental and sustainability projects.
The winner of this award will:
- be a pioneer of environmental culture change and sustainability;
- have delivered or be working towards an innovative green project or strategy;
- have engaged their community in shaping the green vision for their area.
Successful submissions should:
- provide clear examples of work or projects they have carried out;
- focus on how they have led the council to go above and beyond their statutory requirements, ensuring environmental conservation and sustainability.