Bins – a perennial doorstep issue for voters, a frequent headache for councils. Following the launch of the Government’s new Resource and Waste Strategy, this week we’re talking trash.
We speak to Dr Peter Maddox, Director of WRAP, about DEFRA’s new proposals, targets and consultations that will have major impact on how councils run their waste and recycling operations. From ‘polluter-pays’ rules for packaging manufacturers and tough new laws on fly-tipping, to universal food waste collection and new consistent categories for recycling, there’s a lot to chew on.
Plus highlights from our member-only Daily News service including overspend on SEND services, natural flood defences and Chinese-funded fireworks in York.
- Listen on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/lgiu-fortnightly
- Subscribe via iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/lgiu-fortnightly/id1348770998
- Search “LGiU Fortnightly” in your podcast app
Links mentioned in the podcast:
- BRIEFING: Europe’s Underground Waste Management Systems: are they the way forward for local government?
- BRIEFING: A Green Future: Our 25 Year Plan to improve the environment
- BRIEFING: China’s ban on ‘foreign garbage’, and what it means
- Government Report: Our Waste, Our Resources: Strategy for England
- WRAP website
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with stories you’d like to feature in the podcast this year
LGiU Fortnightly is LGiU’s in-house podcast, bringing you the latest news from the world of local government. We update you on the key events from the past fortnight, as well as news from us and our members, so you’re always in the loop. We’re always looking for more ways to bring you the information you need in a way that works around your busy schedule – let us know what you think by tweeting us @LGiU.