This course will help you consider the appropriate use of your council’s comms team as well as your personal approach to using traditional and social media, focusing on how you convey your message as well as listen to and engage with your residents.
Councillors and council staff have more ways than ever before to engage with and respond to their residents. However, building a personal brand and knowing why you are engaging is an important first step.
Social media, traditional press alongside radio and TV interviews and newsletters can all play a part in engaging with the public. As budgets become tighter using these effectively to help the public understand your message as well as gain feedback.
It will look at practical ways to keep up with social media including use of Hootsuite to manage twitter, Facebook Instagram and Google+; dealing with the risks and attacks; the continuing importance of relationships with the press and other media and practicing your interview techniques.
This seminar will be of value to both new and experienced councillors.
- Your message: How you and your council’s comms team can manage your and your organisation’s brand and message effectively and in a complimentary way
- Using your comms team: staying legal, managing positive and negative stories and the complimentary or contrasting nature of your messages
- Listening: Getting the best from social media, face to face, complaints and the press– spotting trends, actively listening and building a conversation.
- Getting heard 1: Building constructive relationships with local press and media and using your comms team.
- Getting heard 2: Getting the best from social media –creating interesting content, engaging and two way communication.
- As part of the programme participants will be able to build an action plan based around a topic or issue that they are currently considering.
10:00-10:30 Registration & refreshments
10:45-11:15 Crafting your message and finding your audience choosing a case study
11:15-12:00 Using your comms team effectively
12:00-12:30 Active listening through social media and other channels
13:15-14:00 Getting heard 1: Building relationships and interviews
14:00-14:45 Getting heard 2: Using social media to share your messages
15:00-15:30 Overview and finalising action plans