CHOOSE OTHER DATES TO VIEW THIS EVENT THAT SUIT YOU – CLICK ‘BOOK NOW‘ TO SEE ALTERNATIVE DATES AND TIMES THROUGHOUT THE YEAR.
This is pre-recorded Webinar with Carol Grant, LGIU Associate, on Loneliness and Social Isolation in Older People to discuss a growing problem of our modern age.
Feelings of loneliness and social isolation can affect people at any stage in their life, but are particularly acute for older people.
This Webinar will be presented by the author of a Briefing on Isolation written for the Local Government Information Unit (LGiU), Carol Grant and those attending will be invited online to discuss this with her and raise questions and comments about what can be done.
The LGA together with Age UK pointed out that “There is growing recognition that loneliness is a serious problem, with far-reaching implications, not just for individuals, but also for wider communities, which merits the attention of local authorities.”
That same report highlighted that:
- Over 1 million older people say they are always of often feel lonely
- 12% of older people feel trapped in their own home
- 6% of older people leave their house once a week or less
- 17% of older people are in contact with family, friends and neighbours less than once a week, and 11% are in contact less than once a month
- Over half (51%) of all people aged 75 and over live alone
- A recent systematic review found that loneliness can increase the risk of premature death by 30%.