“This is a time for the pioneers and pathfinders of politics. Sandy Bruce-Lockhart was just such a pathfinder. We follow in his footsteps.”
- Greg Clark MP, Minister for Decentralisation, speaking at the annual Bruce-Lockhart Lecture
Of particular interest every year is The Bruce-Lockhart Member Scholarship.
This special award is part of the Bruce-Lockhart Leadership Programme which was established in memory of former Kent County Council Leader and LGA Chairman, Lord Sandy Bruce-Lockhart. The programme aims to develop the next generation of council leaders by finding international best practice that can be applied locally.
With this in mind, the winner of the Bruce-Lockhart Member Scholarship at the 2013 C’llr Awards will be awarded a £10,000 bursary, supported by Kent, Essex and East Sussex councils, to fund a project that will advance the cause of localism and government at a local level within the UK.
Last year’s Bruce-Lockhart Member Scholarship was awarded to Cllr Shona Johnstone, from Cambridgeshire County Council.
This year the Bruce-Lockhart Member Scholarship will be awarded to an elected member who has demonstrated clear potential for local leadership. This may include any of the following:
- Evidence of impact locally – within your ward, the borough as a whole and the council itself
- Evidence that you have influenced local policy
- Evidence that your voice has been heard nationally within the sector or that you have contributed to national debate
- Evidence that you have contributed to local government innovation
- Wider evidence of leadership in pursuit of professional, community or personal interests
As part of the assessment, applicants for the Scholarship will also need to develop:
- A scholarship proposal which will promote the case for localism and government at a local level – a project worth up to £10,000 to be completed within the year with a presentation to the prestigious annual Bruce-Lockhart Lecture.
As such, applications for this award must be made by the nominee themselves. For further instructions, and to download an entry form, please click here.
The closing date for entries in this category is December 30th, 2012.