LGiU and CITB, the Industry Training Board for the UK construction sector, have launched a national series of Construction Summits to explore how local government can best support the sector in order to deliver local economic growth.
From May 2013 – February 2014 LGiU worked in partnership with social care provider Mears to deliver a series of roundtables for our Adult Social Care Thought Leader Series. The series followed on from our report published October 2012, “Outcomes Matter: effective …
This is an exciting new post to play a key part in LGiU’s new Partnerships Team, growing LGiU’s role in the sector by building our membership and other partnerships. Importantly this post will contribute to effective relationship management, engaging our members and other partners in constructiv…
How can we make sure that we have the right workforce to care for people in their own homes?
What's next for localism? Jonathan Carr-West spells out a vision for synaptic public services, where councils shift from doing things to making things happen.
- 17 April Making the most of HS2: two recent reports
- 16 April House of Lords report on Mental Capacity Act
- 16 April English Housing Survey 2012-13
- 16 April Children and Families Act 2014 (No.2)
- 15 April Publicity during elections: the parameters
6 May 10:00 - 16:00: Fracking: The Case for and Against
There are currently 176 Petroleum Exploration Development Licences for onshore oil and gas in the UK. The new round of onshore licensing, which will be complete by the summer, will likely double the area currently under exploration, and especially enlarge the areas in which unconventional energy sources are sought. This seminar examines the case for and against fracking from a local government perspective, dealing in particular with: Climate change impacts, the potential economic benefits to local communities, environmental risks and other local impacts, the regulatory regime and alternative energy sources.
- 24 July 09:30 - 15:30 Being an effective Councillor: ways of strengthening and sustaining personal resilience
- 11 September 09:30 - 15:00 An Introduction to Local Government Finance
LGIU in the news
- 16 April Guardian: Japanese local authorities turn matchmaker to combat low birthrate
- 14 April Guardian Local Leaders: Fourteen ways councils can help combat loneliness
- 4 April The MJ: MPs slam NPPF for perverse planning incentives
- 4 April Guardian: What can councils do to combat loneliness?
- 1 April Guardian: Demand outstrips supply for school places