Nick Clegg wants to see mental health at the centre of the Lid Dem General Election manifesto. While mental health is a nation-wide issue, the Lib Dems need to remember the issue's deeply local dimensions.
This week the RSA published “Unleashing Metro Growth: Final Recommendations of the City Growth Commission”. The report calls for the “reconfiguration of our political economy, with city regions at its heart”. It argues that we need a shift in decision-making …
The devolution question following the Scottish referendum was debated widely at each conference, particularly in the fringes, and the fallout from the Scottish referendum for local areas is still a hot topic among localists and some political commentators.
A hung parliament next May is looking like a very likely prospect. But while coalition negotiations leave everything hanging in the balance, the practice of governing where it really counts will carry on. 135 days after their last national …
LGiU and Westminster Council evaluate the incentives in place for encouraging local economic growth.
- 30 October NHS Five year forward view
- 29 October The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP): implications for local government
- 29 October GCSE and A-level update and consultation
- 28 October The social and economic impact of the Rotherham Social Prescribing Pilot
- 28 October Financial health of local government: Audit Commission report
3 November 10:00 - 15:45: Strengthening the role of Councils and Councillors in the Local School System: Norfolk
This seminar discusses practical ways in which local authorities and elected members (including District Councils in two tier areas) can strengthen their role in the local school system which is efficient school place planning; enhance the accountability of schools outside the maintained sector and meet new requirements around school performance. The seminar is a mix of briefings, case studies and workshops to encourage an exchange of ideas, experience and good practice.
- 10 November 10:00 - 15:30 Using Social Media for community engagement and community leadership
- 13 November 09:30 - 16:00 Voices Unheard – Reaching New Audiences & Communities
- 20 November 09:30 - 16:00 Being an effective Councillor: Influencing Skills
- 21 November 09:30 - 16:30 Community Engagement in the current climate
LGIU in the news
- 30 September Devolution for England? Or is the Democracy-max genie well and truly out of the bottle?
- 29 September Public Finance: Council leaders demand more devolution
- 22 September BBC Inside Out: Jonathan Carr-West discusses Scottish Independence
- 19 September LGC: Avoid ‘ill-thought-out’ devolution following Scottish No vote
- 4 September MJ: LGiU calling for greater clarity over push for CIV