Marc Vlessing, co-founder of Pocket, a private affordable house builder, expresses his concern about the government’s plan for new space standards, as part of a consultation on housing standards. The deadline for submissions to the consultation is 7th November
Brendan Martin of PublicWorld asks where care staff are in the NHS 5 Year Forward View.
Nick Clegg wants to see mental health at the centre of the Lib Dem General Election manifesto. While mental health is a nation-wide issue, the Lib Dems need to remember the issue's deeply local dimensions.
This week the RSA published “Unleashing Metro Growth: Final Recommendations of the City Growth Commission”. The report calls for the “reconfiguration of our political economy, with city regions at its heart”. It argues that we need a shift in decision-making …
The devolution question following the Scottish referendum was debated widely at each conference, particularly in the fringes, and the fallout from the Scottish referendum for local areas is still a hot topic among localists and some political commentators.
- 20 November Weekly Policy Summary 21 November
- 20 November Carers strategy: second national action plan 2014-16
- 20 November Real voices: Coffey report on child sexual exploitation in Greater Manchester
- 20 November Culture, Media Sport Committee – Work of Arts Council England
- 19 November Academies and maintained schools: oversight and intervention – NAO Report
3 December 10:00 - 15:00: An Introduction to the Local Government Finance: East Midlands Councils
Council budgets look likely to be under significant pressure until the end of the decade. This seminar will look at the implications of these longer term trends as well as the impact of the Comprehensive Spending Review for 2015/16.The seminar will cover the major changes to local government finance that came into operation in April 2013: the localisation of Business Rates and the expectation of councils generating local economic growth to help fund services. The impact on council budgets of the welfare reform changes; the Localism Act and any fresh or recent government initiatives and announcements will also be assessed.
- 4 December 09:30 - 16:00 Local Government, Fairness Commissions and Civil Society
- 4 December 09:30 - 15:30 Being an effective Councillor: ways of strengthening and sustaining personal resilience: Manchester Town Hall
- 15 December 09:30 - 15:30 Understanding Communities through Participatory Appraisal
LGIU in the news
- 20 November Get Reading: Hundreds meet to discuss growing gap between the prosperous and poor
- 11 November MJ: Metro-centralism Peril
- 2 November Think Tank Review, Devolution is Coming: Why Manchester Should be Controlling its Own Destiny
- 13 October The News Hub: A Permanently Hung Parliament?
- 9 October Policy Network: Localising Power: A Synaptic Approach to Public Services