In the run up to the general election, local government needs to make sure the messages on devolution, reform and finance are loud and clear.
As LGiU is embarking on a new project to help local authorities build more houses, our attention was drawn to this BBC piece from last week, which asks why it has been so hard to build. The article cites a …
A new report has launched on the future of libraries. A new beginning or another dusty old tome?
In straitened economic times local government can provide a vital boost to economic prosperity for hard hit communities. Many councillors work tirelessly with local people, businesses, and the rest of the public sector, tapping into whatever resources are available, in …
Last week the LGiU published Key to Care: Report of the Burstow Commission on the Future of the Home Care Workforce. The media coverage was fantastic. Recognition of the problem facing people needing care and those delivering it is the …
- 23 January Weekly Policy Summary 23 January 2015
- 22 January Action on Air Quality – House of Commons Environmental Audit Committee
- 22 January On Your Radar December 2014 – January 2015
- 21 January School Adjudicator – 2014 annual report
- 20 January Hidden costs of school life – Children’s Commission Report
27 January 09:30 - 16:00: Community Engagement in the current climate
This is a down to earth seminar that will prompt frank debate and identify key issues facing frontline councillors. It will give participants plenty of opportunity to explore different approaches, which they can apply in their work as officers or local councillors.
- 4 February 09:30 - 15:30 Being an effective Councillor: ways of strengthening and sustaining personal resilience
- 11 February 09:30 - 16:00 Being an effective Councillor: Influencing Skills
- 18 February 09:30 - 15:30 Understanding Communities through Participatory Appraisal: Oldham
- 19 February 09:30 - 15:30 An Introduction to Local Government Finance: Newcastle-under-Lyme
LGIU in the news
- 13 January MJ: LGiU report gets to grips with how to build more homes
- 13 January Yahoo News: Paul Burstow MP: Underpaid carers – not legal, not fair, ‘and it needs to stop’
- 11 January BBC Sunday Politics North East and Cumbria: Jonathan Carr-West discusses the effects of funding cuts upon local government
- 18 December BBC London Radio, Drivetime with Eddie Nestor: Jonathan Carr-West discusses cuts to council budgets
- 8 December The Knowledge Exchange Blog: The Burstow Commission report – is this the turning point for home care workers?